How to Fly

Growing up, my sister often told me about a recurring dream she had where she would be walking up the stairs at our house and then push off and be able to fly out of the house and above the city. Every time she had one of these dreams I was so jealous because she said they were so realistic and vivid that she knew the feeling of actually flying. I wanted to fly.
Around late elementary school I heard about the concept of lucid dreaming. I had never had a lucid dream before but I decided that if I was ever going to be able to fly, that was the way to do it. If you don’t already know, a lucid dream is a vivid, realistic dream where you are aware that you’re dreaming and can control what happens. I wanted to learn how to lucid dream so that I could fly. I bought myself a book called A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming: Mastering the Art of Oneironautics, and read every word of it.
From that book (and other research) I learned that if you want to have a lucid dream a good way to do that is to perform reality checks throughout the day. If you do reality checks when you’re awake, then you’ll also do them when you’re asleep. When you do a reality check when you’re asleep, you’ll probably realize that you aren’t in reality and then your brain will understand that you’re dreaming. Some good reality checks are looking at your hand and counting your fingers every once in a while (in dreams it is very possible you won’t have a normal number of fingers). You can also look at the time, look away, and look back to see if the time has drastically changed. Another way to increase your chances of having a lucid dream is, when you’re falling asleep, to repeat to yourself, “I will have a lucid dream tonight.” This is more likely to work if you wake up in the middle of the night, walk around, and go back to bed thinking that. I’ve never tried that because I would rather just sleep through the night, but go for it if you want.
After research and several weeks of performing reality checks during the day, finally I was in a dream where my mom was driving me down the street and I checked the clock and the time didn’t make any sense. I remember thinking to myself, “I’m in a dream and I really hope I don’t wake up yet”. In my dream I brought myself to my backyard, stood in a pile of leaves, and jumped off the ground and flew into the air. I was flying and it was amazing.
So if you want to fly, you might try doing that because it was pretty cool.



Comments

  1. Wow this sounds really cool. I don't think I've ever had a lucid dream, because I don't really remember my dreams often. Sometimes I do wake up really early in the morning though and I realize I just woke up from a dream and if I want to go back to the dream, I can make myself do that. I will fall back asleep and just resume the dream where it was when I woke up. This is pretty cool and also very fun if you're having a nice dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is both cool and terrifying to me at the same time. I always thought lucid dreams were something genetic, like some people had them and others didn't. I didn't realize you could train yourself to have them. Also, lucid dreaming just seems like the scariest thing to me (mostly because Twilight Zone scarred me at the age of eight and I'm super paranoid about the concept of reality and what it means. That stuff you said about realizing the time doesn't make sense and you don't have all your fingers is the stuff of my nightmares.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! I've actually heard of a lot of people doing similar things to try and control what happens in their dreams. I always found it interesting but I never really tried to do it myself because I was kind of scared that it might backfire and make me have a nightmare or something instead lol. It's really cool that you were able to fly in your dream though, it must've been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so cool. I've always wondered about lucid dreaming and never tried it myself because it seemed like a lot of work. Once when I was little, I had a dream that involved flying on a gigantic dandelion (like a witch on a broom), and even though it was just a weird part of the dream it felt pretty real. I'd love to make it happen with my own willpower. I'll have to try out your method because you're a trustworthy source. Also, props to you for going out and buying a book and everything. That's commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago, I spent a lot of time trying to learn to lucid dream, but I never pulled it off. I'm glad to hear that you did, though, because it sounds like a great time. I might just be basing all of my expectations on Every Soul a Star, but I was always kind of sad it didn't happen. Maybe I'll try again after reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed that you pulled it off. Like a lot of people I've also tried to and failed to lucid dream. I was pretty discouraged when I wasn't able to do it overnight, but your post simplified the idea of lucid dreaming and makes me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of lucid dreaming before but it sounds interesting. Whenever I dream I feel like I am just in a 1st person movie. I think I know what is going on around me yet I have no control over my actions nor the things that occur in my dream. I may try lucid dreaming, it sounds like being able to live in your own fantastical world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment