We Love Drake

I love my dog so much, so this blog post is going to be about him. My family adopted him on May 31st, 2013 and honestly that was the best decision of our lives because our house would be so boring without him. I think the timing worked out perfectly because we adopted him a little bit before my older sister left for college, so I’m not saying that he was her replacement necessarily but he definitely acts a third (and favorite) child in my mom’s eyes.

It was actually a big shock for me that we adopted him because I had been trying to convince my parents for years to adopt a dog. In early 2013 I really started focusing on this goal, did a loT of research, made so many PowerPoints and pros and cons lists to present to my parents, and got them to at least consider the idea of starting to look for a dog to adopt. One day I saw a dog named Drake on the website for an animal shelter in Pekin, IL and he seemed like just the kind of dog my parents would go for. I showed him to my mom as an “example” of a dog we could adopt and she said she got a great vibe from him and that we should fill out the adoption application on the spot. We ended up going to visit him that weekend to make sure that we all got along. The very first thing Drake did when he met us was jump onto my mom’s lap, which was the final convincer for my mom that we should adopt him. (Also literally nothing has changed he follows my mom everywhere and basically never leaves her lap.)


There was an adjustment period that summer, we started out thinking he wouldn’t be allowed on our beds and some couches but never even tried to enforce that. He graduated from a dog training class and then another about a year later. He’s definitely still tricky, he’ll do anything to get to our food and has recently started eating paper to keep us on our toes. He thinks the house belongs to him and he’s not really wrong but he deserves it because he brings so much love into our family. My mom treats Drake like a human toddler sometimes: she cradles him and rocks him and got him a car seat. In return, though, he’s always there for us a constant source of joy and entertainment and I think we’re all really grateful for him.

Here he is on my mom's lap (what's new) on a beach in Pensacola, Florida.
He also learned how to swim on that trip! A Big Time for him.

Comments

  1. Your voice really shined through in this post! I could imagine you saying all of this to me. I laughed at some of the details about Drake such as how he eats paper to keep you on your toes. I also like how you included that you used to make PowerPoints and presentations to convince your parents to adopt a dog because I did that too. I'm glad your presentations were successful in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first post! I like the accompanying pictures, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda embarrassing you messed up his name though :// love you forever Garrett. But actually this post is really cute and I love every detail about how Drake has become such an important part of your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Drake too. This is such a beautiful post and how Drake fits in to your family is so cute. It seems like he does just complete your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I love this post. I think it was a fantastic idea to include pictures so everyone could enjoy the full cuteness of your dog. I also think that the parenthetical side notes that you included really added to your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment