Carpool Karaoke

Over the past year and a half-ish my friends and I have all gotten our licenses (Jess got hers about two years ago! What an old boy). The main thing that being able to drive changed was that we could hang out more often with more spontaneous plans, but the coolest change was that we got a lot more practice time for our carpool karaoke. Most of the time we don’t actually record ourselves singing along to the songs, but we do have some regular hits that have developed their own routines and harmonies. Sometimes Grace would take the aux and play Personal by HRVY on repeat 4 times (or more!). But usually the classics are Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi, Rockstar (by Hannah Montana, not Post Malone lol), Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Simba and Nala ft. Timon and Pumba, Everybody Talks by the Neon Trees, the Mamma Mia soundtracks, and of course the Pitch Perfect riff-offs.

Some of you may know Kat Ahlgren as a fellow uni student, but I know her as an a capella prodigy. Towards the beginning of the summer we decided that every time the friends got in the car together we would play and sing along to (as loudly as we could) the riff-offs from the Pitch Perfect movies. There’s something very freeing about singing your lungs out as you drive from one side of town to the other. We already knew them embarrassingly well but over the course of the summer we went from knowing parts of the first riff-off, to all of the first riff-off, to all of the first TWO riff-offs! They got their own hand motions to go along with all the words and we learned how to separate the harmonies to fade seamlessly from one song into the next.


A couple weeks ago Kat and I transported some of the younger volleyball players from practice at Kenney to Smoothie King and along the ride we gave one of our best performances of the riff-offs to date. I can’t speak for them, but it was probably one of the most impressive musical acts they’ve seen in their lives. Suffice it to say, one of my favorite memories of the summer of 2018 will be the 15 minute car rides with my friends that elapsed into many unforgettable hours of laughing and singing.

us shortly after a car performance

Comments

  1. Oh boy it’s true! We sing so much! I love how you phrase everything it sounds so much like your usual voice. Also it is true that I am, in fact, an old boy. (Ps. I like my beds appearance).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post felt like being transported into the car itself, this sounds so much fun! I would love to see you guys performing one day... What a pure and happy post, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute! Car-singing is a unique and lovely activity, and I'm glad you've built such a tradition around it. Maybe you could perform in class some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I do like to sing in the car, I'm more a rapper, and my rapper instincts kick in. Rapping in the car makes me free. I don't think I'm talented enough to have a riff-off like you guys, so I'll stick to singing to my self. Too bad the Rockstar you play in the car isn't from Post Malone :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this blog post! Your voice was so lighthearted and fun to read. It was so cute how you explained the simple moments that you spend with your friends. I also love the pictures you add with your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I sang the riffoffs in the car without you and it just wasn't the same :(. I honestly love this post so much; you did a great job capturing the moments that we've spent in the car together and it made me smile to read it. I also liked how you talked about how the simple car-ride moments are some of your favorite memories, because I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment