Coffee Talk

I didn’t start drinking coffee until I got to Uni. The drinks I ordered started small and very sugary subbie year (also I drank coffee a lot less frequently back then) but I’ve grown to love the taste of coffee and the energy that it gives. Around Uni I see a decent amount of people with coffee cups from either their home or from a nearby coffee place, so I wanted to see how many people at Uni actually drink coffee. Several days ago I sent out a survey polling Uni students coffee habits and since then I’ve gotten 167 responses.

The first question I asked was “Do you drink coffee?” yes or no. 43.7% of students answered they don’t drink coffee and 56.3% said they did. At first I was surprised by these numbers because I thought a larger majority of Uni students would drink coffee, especially with so many coffee places in close proximity to our school. As I thought about it more, I wished that I had included in the survey for people to specify what grade they were in because it’s possible there is more of a trend that the older people get the more of their grade drinks coffee. In my own personal experience my parents didn’t want me drinking coffee regularly until I was at least a junior or senior, so it’s possible that other people’s parents feel the same. Also, it’s possible that half the school just doesn’t drink coffee, which would still make plenty of sense.


Of the people who drink coffee, 30.1% (28 people) said they drink it about once a month. Drinking coffee once a month-ish means they aren’t regular consumers. If we take those 28 people out of the 56.3% of total surveyed who said they drink coffee, that brings the total number of people polled who drink coffee regularly (once a week at least) down to 66/ 167 people, or 39.5% of people. Honestly this doesn’t really mean anything, I just think it’s interesting that a significantly smaller percentage of people drink coffee regularly compared to people who said “yes” they drink coffee. That could also have to do with the ages of people who responded to the survey (which I didn’t include in the survey but really should have, whoops), because thinking back to subbie year I also got coffee about once a month. Also, 18.3% of people who said they drink coffee said they drink it everyday, 23.7% said they drink it a couple times a week, and 20.4% said they drink it about once a week. That shows that of the people who do drink coffee, about 70% drink it regularly. The full results of the survey are below, there are some other questions but those aren’t quite as interesting to me because they came out quite as expected.




Comments

  1. I feel like you should have added something about what kinds of coffee people drink. If you combined that with the ages, you could see whether other people follow your pattern of liking really sugary coffee when they're younger and then transitioning out of that. I know I agree with you on that - I used to only drink disgusting things like blended caramel whatever and now I can't stomach coffee unless it's black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting data! But why drink coffee when you can have strawberry-banana smoothies? But I think what would make it even more interesting is if we could see the data at an average school/ public school. I liked how it read and how you incorporated the data into your writing, and the conclusions you drew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Uni caused my coffee (almost) addiction. Subbie year, I treated coffee more as a social thing. People would go to starbucks during free period for fun, and I would join them. However, the more I started drinking coffee the more I became accustomed to it. Fast forward a couple years and I struggle starting my morning off without a travel mug full of strong coffee (no more frappucinos). I think it would be interesting to see what different grade levels reported for this data, to see if they followed our trend of drinking more coffee the longer you stay at Uni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to like coffee, but I've never gotten used to the bitter taste it gives. My mom drinks coffee like twice a day and she told me once that she thought that by now I would like coffee, but I would much rather have a cup of green tea or - as Henry suggested above - a smoothie. Also, my experience with coffee has been weird. I seem to grow tired after drinking it ( this is really weird and if someone has some scientific explanation for why this might happen let me know I'm like kind of concerned ). I'm glad it works as an energy boost for you and others though! This data was really interesting, and it'd be cool to compare grade levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also didn't start drinking coffee regularly until last year. Partly because of the reason you stated- my parents didn't want me to. But also because my sleep schedule was a lot better subbie and freshman year; I never needed coffee to keep me awake. Getting called out for sleeping in Butler's class a few times served as pretty good motivation for me to become a coffee drinker.
    So, I'd say Uni's the reason I'm now a coffee addict. Ever since I came here, my sleep schedule has gradually declined, at least until the end of sophomore year, at which point it couldn't get any worse. I suspect the same might be true for other older students, which is why they are more likely to drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment